Hidden Cost Palletising Products Incorrectly: when we assess how to ship our products, we tend to focus on the following.
First, the ease of handling for our staff and our customer’s staff is necessary. Hence, built pallets need a manageable weight, size, and height. Second, we take into consideration the storage facilities, if we rack the product or floor stack it. The next step is preparing the goods for transportation. Additionally, a person in shipping or warehousing will view the product and apply what they feel is the correct packaging to ship the goods safely. We then may have a member of staff who must operate to a packaging budget and this will also play a part in the packaging process. To conclude, as we all know a damaged product is a highly costly impact on your company and is challenging to rectify.
So, how do we know we have the right packaging to ensure our pallet arrives safely?
Below we outline the critical questions required to ascertain how we should pack out product.
- What is the pallet size, width, length, and height?
- Pallet weight?
- Do you have an inward our outward-bound load?
- How are you stacking your pallets? Pallet stacking or column stacked? Interlayered?
- What is the quality of the pallet?
- Type of pallet are you using? Euro Pallet? With boards all around?
These are the easy ones – the next questions are critical.
- The number of internal movements the pallet have before loading?
- What device to use? Hand pallet truck, ride on, forklift?
- Is the product shipped as individual pallets or loaded full trucks?
- Times will the pallet be loaded and reloaded before it reaches its final destination?
- Time to reach its destination?
- How does the pallet travel to reach its destination? Road, sea, air or a combination?
- Does the climate change during the trip?
Once you have collected all this data, you can configure the correct specification of packaging required to ship your product. Hence, reduce the hidden cost palletizing products incorrectly. So you can transport goods to its required destination in a safe and secure manner. You would not pack the same case to visit Donegal than you would to Dubai. Hence, your packaging must adopt this philosophy.